Launched in 2020, this policy brief series aims to distil academic research into policy analysis and clear recommendations, drawing on the cutting-edge research taking place at the School of Government and The University of Melbourne, as well as the School of Government’s extensive global networks. The series is edited by Deputy Director Tom Daly and Research Fellow Hannah Irving.
Selected briefs will be produced in collaboration with the COVID-DEM project, which examines how the pandemic is affecting democracy in Australia and worldwide.
Policy Briefs 2022
Policy briefs will be published throughout 2022. We welcome submissions and ideas for policy briefs, which can be sent to either of the Co-Editors, Hannah Irving or Tom Daly. View here for submission guidelines for 2022.
- Digital Government & Disaster Responses: Empowering Community-Led Recovery (18 May 2022. Author: Timothy Kariotis)
- An Australian Climate Accord: A New Way Forward for Climate Crisis Governance? (28 April 2022. Author: Ella Plumanns Pouton, Rod Keenan & Lee Godden)
- Resolving Global Crises: The Urgent Need to Revive Multilateralism & Re-think Australia’s Role (17 March 2022. Author: Erika Feller)
COP26 Mini-Series: Governing After Glasgow
Governing After Glasgow is a mini-series focused on COP26, the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Glasgow (31 October -12 November 2021) and the broader policy implications of addressing the climate crisis.
- Magical Thinking? Will Technology Save Us from the Climate Crisis? (7 December. Author: Jeremy Baskin).
- Net Zero by 2050: What Australia Should Bring to the Table for COP26 (26 October. Authors: Cris Talacko & Tiffany O'Keefe).
- Democracy & the Climate Crisis: From Democratic Debilitation to Innovation (Re-issue-19 October 2021. Author: Prof. Joo Cheong Tham).
Watch a high-level panel on the climate crisis and democracy, featuring Zali Steggall MP and Professor Joo-Cheong Tham, here
Policy Briefs 2021
- Hate Speech Against Women: Addressing a Democratic Crisis (7 September 2021. Author: Anjalee de Silva)
- Tax & the Fertility Freefall: Children, Care & the Intergenerational Report (14 July 2021. Author: Miranda Stewart)
- The Fake News Crisis: Lessons for Australia from the Asia-Pacific (20 May 2021. Author: Andrea Carson)
- A Right to Come Home? Repatriation Rights & Policy in Australia (15 April 2021. Author: Elizabeth Hicks)
- Elections During Crisis: Global Lessons from the Asia-Pacific (17 March 2021. Author: Tom Daly)
- Accountable Lawmaking: Delegated Legislation & Parliamentary Oversight during the Pandemic (1 February 2021. Authors: Pritam Dey & Julian Murphy)
Policy Briefs 2020
- Collaborating After Crisis: How Public Administration Scholars and Practitioners Can Work Together (22 October 2020. Author: Janine O'Flynn)
- Reassessing Contracting-Out: Lessons from the Victorian Hotel Quarantine Inquiry (21 September 2020. Author: Kristen Rundle)
- Closest to the People: Local Government Democracy and Decision-making in Disaster (15 September 2020. Author: Kathryn Arndt)
- New Strategy, New Voices: Time to Change Victoria's Crisis Approach? (10 August 2020. Author: John Pesutto)
- Private Actors and Crisis: Scrutinising the National COVID-19 Commission Advisory Board (5 August 2020. Author: Elizabeth Hicks)
- Prioritising Parliament: Roadmaps to Reviving Australia's Parliaments (1 August 2020. Author: Tom Daly)
- A New Federalism? The Role and Future of the National Cabinet (1 July 2020. Author: Cheryl Saunders)
- Securing Democracy: Australia's Pandemic Response in Global Context (3 June 2020. Author: Tom Daly)